April 28, 2012

Things I've Tried From Pinterest: Homemade Fabric Softener

I love Pinterest. Mostly because it's become one big bookmark for me. I have links that lead me back to so many amazing ideas and tips. I don't know about you, but there are some of pins I've seen, the ones that get pinned over and over again, that I would like to know more about from other Pinterest users. So I thought I'd do a series of posts sharing my experience with some of my favorite pins starting with...

Homemade Fabric Softener

This pin originally come from Thefrugalgirls.com  I'm pretty sure I've tried some of the other recipes on their list too, but I think this one is my favorite. It is a simple recipe for homemade fabric softener.

What I used

  • white vinegar
  • Hot water
  • Cheap conditioner that I stopped using because I didn't like how it felt on my hair
  • A little bit of my actual conditioner because I liked the way it smelled
Why I like it
  • It really does make a difference in fabric softness. I have really hard water (well water) and sometimes my towels and things come out really stiff. This totally stopped that feeling.
  • I don't have scientific proof, but it must have far fewer chemicals than regular fabric softener.
  • It's WAY cheaper than actual liquid fabric softener, which I have actually never bought.
  • It makes me feel better about the environment; reusing an old container to store it instead of buying more, not throwing out conditioner I don't want to use, using fewer chemicals.
  • Again, no scientific proof here, but I know one of the concerns with regular liquid fabric softener is the heightened flammability for children's clothing. I'm pretty sure this isn't true with the homemade kind.
Concerns
  • Sometimes it's hard to remember to make more of it.
  • Steve insists he can smell the vinegar on his clothing. I totally disagree. Just in case though, I use really good smelling Gain detergent (I know this totally counteracts my "more natural" motives with the fabric softener, so sue me).
Anyway. I really like using homemade softener. I feel like doing things homemade that either are healthier or cheaper is worth it, but I like to do it a little bit at a time. I'm not going to switch to homemade everything right now, but switching one things at a time is totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...