September 06, 2014

Autumn Roasted Veggie Soup: PCOS Friendly


I'm this close [ ] to being ready for fall. I am, however, fully ready for all things pumpkin. So when I saw this recipe for a savory pumpkin and veggie bisque, I was ready to try it. I almost never follow a recipe exactly though, especially for soup, so mine looked quite a bit different (and still PCOS friendly), and I thought I'd share!

Autumn Roasted Veggie Soup



Ingredients:

  • 4-5 organic carrots, peeled and chopped (mine were pretty skinny)
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (Okay, here's the truth: One of the "sweet potatoes" that I grabbed was not a sweet potato. It may have been a white sweet potato, but I'm not entirely sure. It had the same look and texture inside and out of a regular sweet potato, but it was white instead. I didn't realize this until I got it home and sliced into it, but it tasted yummy)
  • 1/2 a Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
  • 3 small cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 can of pureed pumpkin
  • 2 cups of organic vegetable broth
  • 2 cups of water
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • approx. 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • approx. 1 tbsp curry powder
  • approx. 1/4 tsp. grated ginger (I buy fresh and keep it in the freezer)
  • approx. 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp. raw honey (Note: This is not recommended for pregnant women, but I 1.) wasn't worried because it was being cooked and 2.) like to break the rules.)
  • 1/4 c. organic whole milk (if, like some women with PCOS, you choose not to eat dairy, you could use coconut milk instead)
  • sour cream or Greek yogurt for garnish.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.

2. Drizzle olive oil on pan. Place carrots, sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic on pan. Top with another drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.

Veggies before roasting

3. Roast vegetables for 20-25 minutes, checking and stirring midway.

4. Fill medium pot with vegetable broth, water, and pureed pumpkin and place on stove on low heat.

5. Remove roasted vegetables from oven and add to broth. Add spices (I put the approx. amounts I used, but season to taste), salt, and honey and cook on low-med. heat, uncovered for 15-20 min.

Veggies after roasting

6. Remove from heat. Using a stick blender (you could also use a regular blender), blend soup to desired consistency. Add milk, stirring to blend.

7. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream as garnish.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...