September 28, 2015

Food for Little Tummies (Baby Led Weaning)

I've mentioned on the blog before that we've decided to do baby led weaning (BLW) to introduce Cai to solid foods. This meant that we skipped purees and rice cereal and went straight to solid foods. In the beginning it mostly looked like Cai shoving food into his mouth, tasting it, experiencing the texture, mashing it around a little bit, and spitting it back out, but as he has grown, it now looks like a small person eating food (and it's super fun to watch).

I just wanted to share a few of the recipes that have worked for us (nutritious and easy for little hands).

 Breakfast Hash
This was a go to meal for me in the end of IVF and the beginning of pregnancy when I was trying to eat lots of protein, but with just a little bit o tweaking, it's been great for Cai too. I made enough for us to share

INGREDIENTS:

  • Potatoes, cut into grabbable sticks
  • Fresh herbs (I used basil and rosemary and scallions)
  • Shredded cheese (I used parm. and cheddar)
  • Eggs
  • Milk (we use raw milk)
  • EVOO
  • Sausage (optional depending on your baby. Cai doesn't do well with sausage skin, so I either take the skin off or leave it out)

DIRECTIONS:

  • Brown potatoes in hot skillet with EVOO.
  • If you're using sausage, add that next and cook until brown.
  • In separate bowl, scramble eggs with herbs, cheese, and a splash of milk.
  • Add eggs to skillet and use spatula to scramble all of the ingredients.



Farmer's Market Pizza
I won't bother posting a recipe for this, but I was super proud of this recipe. I used all ingredients from the farmer's market, my own potted herbs, and a local farm. Everything was pesticide free. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • Brick oven chabatta bread
  • Farm fresh mozarella
  • Tomato sauce
  • Fresh basil
  • Fresh rosemary


Strawberry French Toast
Again, I won't post a recipe for this one, because I'm sure you know how to  make French toast, but basically I made French toast and then spread cream cheese on it and added strawberries.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Bread (I think I used some of my dad's homemade sourdough bread)
  • Egg
  • Cinnamon
  • Milk
  • Cream cheese
  • Strawberries, sliced


Sweet Potato Fries
Not only did Cai love them, but Steve did too. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • Sweet potatoes, cut like fries
  • Coconut oil
  • Cinnamon
  • Ginger
  • Curry
DIRECTIONS:
  • Toss cut sweet potatoes in coconut oil and spices to taste (we liked ours with a mix of sweet and savory spices)
  • Spread onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
  • Bake until soft enough to chew.

We have loved BLW (and so has Cai). It can be messy, but it's so much fun to watch your little one explore foods. And so far, Cai loves everything we've given him except artichokes. Yay for not being a picky eater!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...